Thursday, June 17, 2010

From a legal standpoint, can people go after my assets to collect on my husband's debts?

My husband and I are not together anymore, but are still legally married. He has a lot of past due credit card debt and owes back child support to his ex wife because he hasn%26#039;t been working. We have no joint accounts or assets of any kind, but I want to know if legally I should be worried about people coming after me and my money to collect on his debts? We have two kids which live with me and he is not supporting in anyway, I want to make sure my money in my bank accounts will be safe.



From a legal standpoint, can people go after my assets to collect on my husband%26#039;s debts?

Money in your bank accounts should be safe as long as you are the only signor. But, to be sure, I would check your state%26#039;s laws on community property.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Debt cards © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting